Thames River Water Management Plan Goals
The TRCWR will develop a broad watershed strategy that considers the interactions of land, water, plants, animals and people, with the overall objective of improving the ecological condition of the Thames River, Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie. Step 1 is to write a water management plan (WMP) to address key recommendations for the Great Lakes and the Thames River, with a focus on water quality and quantity. Goals for the WMP are:
- Identify and address water quantity management issues.
- Improve water quality of the Thames River watershed and reduce the river’s impact on Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River and Lake Erie.
- Strengthen community connections with the Thames River watershed and understanding of the river’s relationship to the Great Lakes.
- Understand Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) and determine how it can inform water resource management decisions.
- Strengthen collaborations among water managers: First Nations, municipalities, Conservation Authorities, Provincial ministries and Federal departments.